Monday, December 10, 2007

The Spoils of War

Herewith are the promised photos:



...of a new and miraculously improved COLA payment - in cash!


...of our new French cards - yes they really do exist! (Every time we see the picture of Benjamin on his French card, we're reminded of the photographer saying "Fermez la bouche!" - they insisted his mouth had to be closed. So Kathy gave him some gum to chew on!)


...and of our new license plates! (Temporary) Oh what pain we had to go through to get these. And there may be more yet to come. We had originated the insurance policy in Kathy's name, because it was to our financial advantage - except that because I was applying for special diplomatic "green plates" through CERN, the insurance certificate had to have my name on it, which it didn't. And the French insurance company could not add my name to the certificate, even though I am listed as an alternate driver. I doubt even the French know why. So we submitted the paperwork as is. We don't know for sure whether the folks in Paris will accept it - please pray that they do! I don't want to go through another six week waiting period, or pay double for our insurance...One of the bright lights in this tale is the CERN assistant in the Installation Services office. She's British, and unfailingly friendly, cheerful, and helpful both in smoothing the way for our shipment in October, and in helping us navigate this odyssey in registering a vehicle. In a country where so many people seem to be so maddeningly inflexible, running into such a person is more than refreshing - it's life-giving.

And (finally!) pictures of the car itself, with the plates fastened. It's the all-used 1996 Honda Civic 1.6i LS, the new dudemobile:

complete with faux exhaust pipe decals, which I wish I could just take off:

...and a rear "CH" sticker from its old Swiss owner. Kinda clashes with the French license plates...we will have to find a way to take that one off...


...plus automatic transmission (4 speeds), moonroof, CD/MP3 player, and summer/winter tires.

Huzzah!!

Thanks for warring with us in the heavenlies. The battle continues!

-PKBD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well!!! Look at what you got there. The Cards and cash look great. The car looks excellent! It looks brand new. I never would think that was a '96. It seems as if things are coming together. Maybe this is God's way of saying "Enough is Enough! My son is STAYING." And then Christ brushes aside all of the obstacles that have been in the way until now. I am glad that CERN has been such a help too. It seems like they have all kinds of connections, vehicles, gas, living quarters, individual border guards, etc., etc. It's a shame you have to go in and work! I mean, come on! How much do they expect? Sheesh!

We can't wait to see you when you come back. My mom will be staying with us for a few days after Christmas. You are more than welcome to come then too. Not much of your stuff has moved either. It is kind of humorous, really. The TV is still in the box right next to the bed - right where we left it. It is a great place to put books, dirty clothes, old ham sandwiches, etc., etc. (in that order too)

Well, better go to bed. It has been a long day. The blog looks great.

Love,
Rob, Laila, Anja, and ????