Continuing the saga of our summer vacation in Grindelwald, Switzerland; day 1 and the first part of day 2 were reported on here and here.
After we got back from the Top of Europe tour, a nap was in order for K and B, but I wanted to get some exercise. Now there's all sorts of walking trails around the area that one could go on, some that could last you the whole day, but I didn't have all the time in the world. So I donned my sneakers and started walking towards the mountains along the Schwarze Lutschine river. What I found gave me the idea of bringing K and B back with me later in the day to see it for themselves (here I mix the photos from the earlier and later outings in the day, now don't get confused! :)
This is the river that froths and bubbles with frigid milky water past the cabin we stayed in. Turns out this is because it's the product of glacier melt-off.
Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books
"Gletscherschlucht" translates to Glacier Gorge. The Schwarze Lutschine comes roaring out of this gorge, probably chock full of minerals too, and roiling and steaming down the valley.
Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books
It was only half-an-hour brisk walk and I found myself at the base of that gorge.
Here you can see there are catwalks built into the rock;
but to get on these you have to pay money at the entrance into the park. I chose instead to take the high road...
...and leading both to a restaurant, the restaurant Marmorbruch...
So what better way to spend the evening but to recall our honeymoon days in New Zealand, eat at the Restaurant Marmorbruch (quintessentially heavy Swiss-German fare - pork and potatoes...
...and even an old guy playing "Amazing Grace" on the horn for live entertainment...)
Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books
and watch the bungee jumpers?
Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books
None that I can think of!
Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books
-PKBD
No comments:
Post a Comment